Re: state of 7.0-RC1 on an IBM t60p

From: Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev_at_moneybookers.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:24:43 +0200
Hi Josh,

Josh Paetzel wrote:
> I recently installed FBSD 7.0-BETA4 on my laptop in an effort to get working
> intel 3945abg wireless.  I bumped it up to 7.0-RC1 the other day.  I've been
> in a bit of a state health wise and have gotten to the point where i need to
> depend on my laptop, so it has to go back to releng_6, but I thought I'd
> write out the problems I've been having.
>
> 1) wpi is nearly non-functional.  It seems to associate best to WPA2 networks,
> struggles with WEP and won't associate at all to open networks.  Once it's
> associated it spams the console with "discarding packet without header"
> and "wpi_cmd: couldn't set tx power" quite a bit, as well as other random
> output.  The real problem I've had with it is that it panics under moderate
> data rates, in the 1000-1500K/sec range.

You can try the latest wpi driver from perforce -
http://www.clearchain.com/wiki/Wpi
Also you can disable debugging.
> 2) pantech px-500 evdo pccard.  This thing uses the ucom/umodem driver and
> panics after a few seconds of transfer at anything over 30K/sec or so.  It
> also panics instantly on insertion or removal.  I've been unable to get a
> crash dump or to the debugger for this, my swap is encrypted and seeming gets
> cleared before savecore runs, and i've been unable to dump to usb swap
> devices.  (The card is a pccard that has a usb controller with a usb-> serial
> adapter on it)

I'm using http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd/index.html, which
fixed same problems for me (with other hardware).
> 3) sutdown output is garbled.  This doesn't seem to hurt anything,  but at
> some point in shutdown the console messages start interleaving.

First time I saw this in RC1 - never with 7-CURRENT or -BETAX (I'm
talking only about shutdown messages, not boot messages)
> 4) acpi suspend and resume doesn't work, but that's not a huge shock.l
>
> 5) ath generates interrupt storms that are throttled.

Sorry, I do not have idea how to fix this.

--

Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev