Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:56:59 -0800
Gary Corcoran wrote:
> Perhaps the 7.0 release notes should include a note to the effect that
> ZFS is *strongly* NOT RECOMMENDED on 32-bit systems at this time, due

By watching this and other threads on ZFS and reading Sun's own design
papers I am getting strong impression that this should be even more
strong than strong NOT RECOMMENDED. Perhaps ZFS should BE DISALLOWED to
run on i386 at all (unless one does some manual source code tweaking or
something like this, and hence can ask no official support from the
project).

I believe that 95% of hardware today that realistically is capable of
running ZFS is also capable of running 64bit code, so that potential ZFS
users are far better off switching to FreeBSD/amd64 and help
testing/improving that architecture than fighting architectural
limitations of already dying i386. And we are as a project are better
off too, by spending out limited resources on something that has future.

 From my own experience FreeBSD/amd64 is quite mature for running most
if not all of the server tasks today and ZFS is first and foremost a
server FS. The only place where FreeBSD/i386 beats FreeBSD/amd64 is
desktop, due to binary drivers and such, but ZFS is almost useless
there. So that by simply officially disallowing ZFS on FreeBSD/i386 we
could win by a great margin.

Just my CAD0.02.

-Maxim