Re: Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

From: Joao Barros <joao.barros_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:52:17 +0000
As someone who's been running ZFS happilly ever since pjd committed it
to CURRENT early 2007 on i386 with 1GB of RAM I would definitly say
NO!
Put up warnings, banners and whatever you want but disabling it just
because some users had some panics or just haven't given up time to
tune their system (I'm all in favor of auto tunning here) just doesn't
seem reason enough for me to limit other people's choices.

I've listed it before but again for the record:
i386 Xeon, 1GB RAM
4x320GB RAIDZ with root on zfs
zil enabled, prefetching disabled to improve video play
Shared via NFS and Samba

cat /boot/loader.conf
zfs_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:r4x320"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1

That's it on my loader.conf and for months now I haven't seen a panic.
Why should I or anyone else happilly running ZFS on i386 be denied of
doing so?