Re: Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:06:55 +0100
> That's it on my loader.conf and for months now I haven't seen a panic.
> Why should I or anyone else happilly running ZFS on i386 be denied of
> doing so?

100% agreement.

If you want to go to extremes, require the user to put
zfs.zfs.run_on_32_bit_and_i_understand_i_am_an_idiot_and_this_is_not_recommended=1
in loader.conf, or else have the kernel panic by design on boot.

But don't make it totally impossible without patching the source, *please*.

Obviously the exception is if development for i386 stops such that it actually
does not work. But disallowing it for artificial reasons... please leave
things like that to proprietary hardware/software vendors trying to squeeze
money of out consumers, and leave it out of a free operation system.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey_at_scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller_at_infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org