Re: ZFS on AMD64 - any recent crashes?

From: Hugo Silva <hugo_at_barafranca.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 22:25:54 +0000
Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In light of the recent discussion about ZFS stability, does anyone
> still have kmem_map_too_small panics on AMD64 after tuning it (as
> presented in http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide)?
>
> I'm interested in reports like this:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/freebsd-current/2007/9/21/271557
> (note that this report is for an untuned system).

I have 3 amd64 systems & an i386 system (workstation) using ZFS; I've
seen panics related to ZFS only on the i386 machine as expected. (Not to
mention it's still -CURRENT from months ago :))

The amd64 servers are a home server (with jails hosted on ZFS), and two
servers in Canada. Of these two, one is also a jail server (one of the
jails is a mail server that'll be fairly loaded when it goes live) and
the other is a backup server (still not in production).

The most I've thrown at ZFS so far is buildworld & ports, so perhaps
that's why I have not seen any problems yet. I'll inform the list if I
encounter any such panics when the systems go live, but for the time
being, I just wanted to say "no problems on amd64 here".

As a sidenote, I use ganglia and I wrote a little script to export the
arcsize sysctl to ganglia, from what I've seen it likes to go up til the
limit, but will relinquish memory when there's pressure; I can see such
ups and downs easily in the graphs if I stress another part of the system.

Regards,

Hugo