Re: ZFS on AMD64 - any recent crashes?

From: Gelsema, P \(Patrick\) - FreeBSD <"Gelsema,>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 23:10:55 +0100 (CET)
On Sun, January 6, 2008 19:25, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In light of the recent discussion about ZFS stability, does anyone still
> have kmem_map_too_small panics on AMD64 after tuning it (as presented in
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide)?
>
> I'm interested in reports like this:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/freebsd-current/2007/9/21/271557 (note
> that this report is for an untuned system).

I have my Music and movies collection on a ZFS pool for more than a month
now which is shared through samba over the network with an XBox
MediaCenter without any problem, hitches or disconnects.

No tuning. Everything out of the box.

The zfs pool is jailed and within the jail runs samba.

The only "issue" I have is that whenever I reboot that I have to re-jail
the zfs pool and remount it within the jail. Would love if this could be
automatic.

Details:

FreeBSD hulk.superhero.nl 7.0-RC1 FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 #0: Mon Dec 24 18:52:08
CET 2007     admin_at_hulk.superhero.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ (2511.41-MHz K8-class
CPU) Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x60fb1  Stepping = 1
Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
Features2=0x2001<SSE3,CX16>
AMD Features=0xea500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
AMD Features2=0x11f<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,Prefetch>
Cores per package: 2
usable memory = 3526770688 (3363 MB) ** actual 4 GB but I have memory hole
mapping disabled as enabling renders the system unusable due to being
unable to mount / ***
avail memory  = 3411177472 (3253 MB)

last pid: 95799;  load averages:  0.00,  0.00,  0.00   up 13+03:50:10
23:06:09
64 processes:  1 running, 63 sleeping
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100% idle
Mem: 107M Active, 478M Inact, 626M Wired, 216K Cache, 214M Buf, 2050M Free
Swap: 4096M Total, 4096M Free

hulk# sysctl -a | grep kmem
vm.kmem_size_scale: 3
vm.kmem_size_max: 419430400
vm.kmem_size_min: 0
vm.kmem_size: 419430400

hulk# zpool status
  pool: zfspublic
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        zfspublic   ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad4     ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad6     ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad8     ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

hulk# zfs get all
NAME              PROPERTY       VALUE                  SOURCE
zfspublic         type           filesystem             -
zfspublic         creation       Mon Dec  3 15:13 2007  -
zfspublic         used           83.7G                  -
zfspublic         available      829G                   -
zfspublic         referenced     24.0K                  -
zfspublic         compressratio  1.00x                  -
zfspublic         mounted        yes                    -
zfspublic         quota          none                   default
zfspublic         reservation    none                   default
zfspublic         recordsize     128K                   default
zfspublic         mountpoint     /zfspublic             default
zfspublic         sharenfs       off                    default
zfspublic         checksum       on                     default
zfspublic         compression    off                    default
zfspublic         atime          on                     default
zfspublic         devices        on                     default
zfspublic         exec           on                     default
zfspublic         setuid         on                     default
zfspublic         readonly       off                    default
zfspublic         jailed         off                    default
zfspublic         snapdir        hidden                 default
zfspublic         aclmode        groupmask              default
zfspublic         aclinherit     secure                 default
zfspublic         canmount       on                     default
zfspublic         shareiscsi     off                    default
zfspublic         xattr          off                    temporary
zfspublic         copies         1                      default
zfspublic/batman  type           filesystem             -
zfspublic/batman  creation       Mon Dec  3 15:14 2007  -
zfspublic/batman  used           83.7G                  -
zfspublic/batman  available      829G                   -
zfspublic/batman  referenced     83.7G                  -
zfspublic/batman  compressratio  1.00x                  -
zfspublic/batman  mounted        yes                    -
zfspublic/batman  quota          none                   default
zfspublic/batman  reservation    none                   default
zfspublic/batman  recordsize     128K                   default
zfspublic/batman  mountpoint     /s/public              local
zfspublic/batman  sharenfs       off                    default
zfspublic/batman  checksum       on                     default
zfspublic/batman  compression    off                    default
zfspublic/batman  atime          on                     default
zfspublic/batman  devices        on                     default
zfspublic/batman  exec           on                     default
zfspublic/batman  setuid         on                     default
zfspublic/batman  readonly       off                    default
zfspublic/batman  jailed         on                     local
zfspublic/batman  snapdir        hidden                 default
zfspublic/batman  aclmode        groupmask              default
zfspublic/batman  aclinherit     secure                 default
zfspublic/batman  canmount       on                     default
zfspublic/batman  shareiscsi     off                    default
zfspublic/batman  xattr          off                    temporary
zfspublic/batman  copies         1                      default