Re: Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

From: Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:51:17 +0100
Hello igor,

On 07/01/2008, Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/01/2008, Christian Walther <cptsalek_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't think so. My guess is that partitioning/slicing disks is a
> > pain for most of the users. How does one tell how big a filesystem
> > should be, even or especially on the desktop? I found myself having to
> > cope with full filesystems several times.
>
> That could be a good thing (think programs creating lots of files and
> not cleaning up after themselves)...
>
> > Using ZFS even on one disk just to get rid of fixed partition/slice
> > boundaries is a good thing.
>
> How is that different to creating one / slice of FFS?

With ZFS there aren't fixed boundaries as there are with the
slice/partition theme. You can use reservation and quota to determine
how much free space is guaranteed for a ZFS and the maximum size a ZFS
is allowed to grow to.
If you feel that these boundaries/limitations aren't of any use
anymore, changing/removing them is just a matter of "zfs set...".

> Igor :-)

Christian