Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Erik Trulsson <ertr1013_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:00:57 +0100
On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 02:51:28PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> Thus Kris Kennaway <kris_at_FreeBSD.org> spake on Fri, 11 Jan 2008
> 14:12:25 +0100:

> > > It should do with *one* exception: Every other, more important
> > > problem (e.g. getting ZFS to v9) is *solved*. If this is the case,
> > > import the USB christmas tree device driver and introduce
> > > dev.xmastree.lamps.blink as sysctl, absolutely no problem.

> > > But I bet you would be fine with it in the tree as well as some
> > > others, if not all others? If so, why didn't it get into the tree?
> > > Maybe because some lower-priority USB christmas device driver was
> > > imported instead?
> > >
> > > This is the crucial point I wanted to show: *Priorities*.
> >
> > You are making the incorrect assumption that one developer working on
> > e.g. your /dev/uxmas in any way effects the development of other
> > "more important" parts of the tree.
>
> No, I didn't. I said that the work is done ineffectively as he's doing
> underprioritized stuff. Working on higher prioritized stuff would be
> more efficient, and would help the project even more.

But he is probably working on high priority stuff.  High priority according
to *his* priorities that is, not your priorities.

> Given the assumption that the developer is able to do both, the Xmas
> tree as well as importing ZFS v9 into the tree.
>
> (I don't see the point that when somebody is really *capable* of doing
> both things, why should (s)he do the 'lower priority' thing. If you
> are at the olympic stadium and you're the best sprinter, you wouldn't
> join the marathon...!)

Because he thinks the 'lower priority' thing is more fun, and doesn't care
at all about the stuff that you happen to think should be high priority.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson