Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Aryeh M. Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:07:58 -0500

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 02:51:28PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
>> Thus Kris Kennaway <kris_at_FreeBSD.org> spake on Fri, 11 Jan 2008
>> 14:12:25 +0100:

>>> You are making the incorrect assumption that one developer
>>> working on e.g. your /dev/uxmas in any way effects the
>>> development of other "more important" parts of the tree.
>> No, I didn't. I said that the work is done ineffectively as he's
>> doing underprioritized stuff. Working on higher prioritized stuff
>> would be more efficient, and would help the project even more.
>
> But he is probably working on high priority stuff.  High priority
> according to *his* priorities that is, not your priorities.

And a different reward system would encourage a more socially
responible approach on both sides.

>> Given the assumption that the developer is able to do both, the
>> Xmas tree as well as importing ZFS v9 into the tree.
>>
>> (I don't see the point that when somebody is really *capable* of
>> doing both things, why should (s)he do the 'lower priority'
>> thing. If you are at the olympic stadium and you're the best
>> sprinter, you wouldn't join the marathon...!)
>
> Because he thinks the 'lower priority' thing is more fun, and
> doesn't care at all about the stuff that you happen to think should
> be high priority.

The requirement that the work must be "fun" is a fatal flaw with FOSS
once the projects actually start getting used by real people to do
real work... like I said else where do you really want the DoD run by
people who think war is "fun".

- --
Aryeh M. Friedman
FloSoft Systems, Java Developer Tools.