Re: Improving the handling of PR:s

From: Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:16:29 +0000
On 12/01/2008, Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de> wrote:

> > Drawback: more work for the committers.
> > Advantages: people feel rewarded for contributing patches, more
> > hardware support...
>
> Yes and others with fine running hardware feel unsure about it.
> The result are new reports or just other users that run away.
> It is up to the commiter to get the balance of things that likely
> don't break other HW and those that are risky and need further
> verification.
> If it is considered to risky the commiter has to find others to test.
> See the list for patches, which are published for public testing.
> This happens for exactly the purpose that the commiter thinks it has
> some risky nature.

I thought that was the whole point of CURRENT/BETA/RC? You can either
hope that the committer will eventually find someone with same/similar
hardware and that they're willing to experiment with it (although, why
would anyone try running something that is considered risky on a
production system is beyond me), *or* you can force everyone ot test
it (given they have the right hardware) and push it into CURRENT or
the next BETA where people expect to have glitches in...

Igor