Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:00:35 +0000 (GMT)
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Timo Schoeler wrote:

>>> I agree completely, it shouldn't be ignored.  (Whether it's the first,
>>> second or third biggest forum doesn't matter at all; it can't be easily
>>> measured anyway.)
>>
>> BSDForen.de is a native-language forum, and I suspect it suffers from the
>> same problems as other native-language fora: they become closed communities
>> with little or no contact with the parent community, and over time they
>> construct their own mythology of how that community functions and acts.
>
> Sorry, but (especially in this case) that is nonsense as it's primarily an
> excuse and disparages the work done there.

There's another element in play here -- FreeBSD.org is a mailing list-centric
community driven by people who are very much part of the e-mail world.  For
many newer computer users, e-mail is the old world, and the new world is
instant messaging and web forums.  Many developers I've talked to feel quite
uncomfortable with the medium of web forums, and therefore don't tend to use
them.  If our newer user communities are forming around web forums (i.e., for
PC-BSD), then we do need to find some way to bridge the gap.

I have to admit that I live very much in that e-mail world: I tried following
the PC-BSD web forums for a bit, but the fact that the messages failed to
appear neatly in threads in my mail reader meant it was awkward and
inconvenient, and wasn't part of my regular workflow in which I intermittently
poll my mail reader while getting other work done, referencing it on occasion
with explicit searches, etc.  I don't know if there are technical solutions to
this problem, but if we want to "meet" many of these newer users of BSD, and
hence build up the rapport needed to have a productive relationship, we're
either going to have to lure them onto the mailing lists, find our way onto
web forums, or find some other technical or social means of getting over that
difference.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge