Re: Can't delete any files on my filled up ZFS pool

From: Bill <lists+freebsd-current_at_xinu.tv>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:50:46 -0500
Does the delete work now?

In your original post, tank was:

NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank   109G      0  4.11G  /tank

and now:

NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
tank         104G  5.70G  4.11G  /tank

Is it possible a process was writing to /wav, filled the disk, you tried
your 'rm /tank/input.wav' and then the original process writing to /wav
unlinked the file that didn't fit, thus freeing 5.7G?

/tank and /wav share the available free space on tank.  If that ends up
being the problem, you can set the reservation option on tank to prevent
it from happening again.  If it's not that I'm not sure what it could
be, I'm just trying to point out 'quirky' behavior from ZFS that's
different from UFS and the like, do to its pooling nature.

Bill

Thomas Vogt wrote:
> Hello
>
> Bill wrote:
>> Do you have snapshots on the pool?  What is the output from 'zfs list'?
>> It's possible when you have a snapshot on tank that the delete causes
>> a copy-on-write for the snapshot that then doesn't have enough space.
>
> I don't use snapshots.
>
> zfs list
> NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank         104G  5.70G  4.11G  /tank
> tank/wav    99.5G  5.70G  99.5G  /wav
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>

>> Thomas Vogt wrote:

>>> I filled it as root. So it does not work

>>> Nice. B) works fine. Thank you.

>>> I hope there will be a "ZFS" answer :)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Thomas
>>> freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org mailing list