Re: Can't delete any files on my filled up ZFS pool

From: Thomas Vogt <freebsdlists_at_bsdunix.ch>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 01:10:27 +0100
Hello Bill

Bill wrote:
> Does the delete work now?

Sorry for not mentioning. Yes delete work with 'cat /dev/null >
input.wav ; rm input.wav'. Simple use of rm didn't work

> In your original post, tank was:
>
> NAME   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank   109G      0  4.11G  /tank

Before Julians hint with cat /dev/null

> and now:
>
> NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank         104G  5.70G  4.11G  /tank

After Julians hint.

> Is it possible a process was writing to /wav, filled the disk, you tried
> your 'rm /tank/input.wav' and then the original process writing to /wav
> unlinked the file that didn't fit, thus freeing 5.7G?

Unlikely. This pool is only used for storing data. No writing from any
the system.

> /tank and /wav share the available free space on tank.  If that ends up
> being the problem, you can set the reservation option on tank to prevent
> it from happening again.  If it's not that I'm not sure what it could
> be, I'm just trying to point out 'quirky' behavior from ZFS that's
> different from UFS and the like, do to its pooling nature.

You're right. Maybe it's better to set reservation for zfs too.

Cheers,
Thomas