Re: RELENG_7_0: vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:12:15 +0200
On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 03:45:32PM -0800, Xin LI wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have got a lot of this in dmesg output for RELENG_7_0 as of today:
>
> vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
> vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
> vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
> vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
> vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
> vm_thread_new: kstack allocation failed
>
> Any idea?

Does it cause any problems aside from printing these messages ?
What workload do you put on the machine ?

The messages came from the failure of the kernel to allocate address
space for the kernel stack for a thread being created. Previously, the
system would panic encountering this situation.

This may happen due to kernel_map address space depletion, for instance,
by having a lot (on i386 machines with > 1Gb memory, ~40000) threads.