Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years / sorry I started flame war

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:40:13 -0700
> Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:26:16 -0700
> From: "Rob Lytle" <jan6146_at_gmail.com>
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> The sysinstall dependency problem  has existed for 10 years, so I doubt that
> its unique to me.  It has occurred in every installation I have ever done.
>
> I use portupgrade for all ports.
>
> i strongly disagree with using ports for huge packages.  I don't have the
> time to waste compiling.  Plus, you are presented with numerous nag screens
> so you have to babysit the whole process.

Please don't top post!

I never said that you should build from ports. I said that you should
not use sysinstall to install packages. I said that you can copy the
packages from the CDs to /usr/ports/packages/All/ and use 'portinstall -P'
to install all of them that are still current and to download those
that are not. This simply eliminates all of the disc shuffling.

If the nag screens annoy you, use BATCH=yes to build ports with default
values. That gives you the same build as the package system uses.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)