Re: A bit of offtopic: msdosfs recovery tool

From: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck_at_rinet.ru>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:29:44 +0400 (MSD)
On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

HPS> > I have CF card which failed somewhere very close to the beginning; I did
HPS> > copy by recoverdisk, and can find start of at least one of FAT copies
HPS> > (though can't be sure of its consistency); I can't find root directory yet,
HPS> > neither subdirs.
HPS> >
HPS> > So - it there any tool to automate/speed up such a process?
HPS>
HPS> You are fortunately not the first one into that water ;-)
HPS> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
HPS>
HPS> We should have this in ports. It is a pretty good utility!

Yes, it is bundled with sysutils/disktest.

Actually, it recovers most of images perfectly - but only on second run, when I
put cf image on tmpfs (!)

On the first run, when image resides on ZFS, it locks up in zfs:lock somewhere
in the middle, stumbling the whole machine :( I did not tried to reproduce the
problem yet, though.

Thank you for the tip!

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck_at_FreeBSD.org ]
*** Dmitry Morozovsky --- D.Marck --- Wild Woozle --- marck_at_rinet.ru ***