HEADS UP: sio(4) -> uart(4)

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:28:26 +0200
Hello folks,

This morning I sent the following message to this list. Unfortunately, I
didn't put a big `HEADS UP' in the subject, so I'm resending this to
make sure nobody misses:

----- Forwarded message from Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> -----
> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:22:54 +0200
> From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
> To: FreeBSD Current <current_at_FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Arch <arch_at_FreeBSD.org>
> Cc: Philip Paeps <philip_at_FreeBSD.org>,
> 	Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: MPSAFE TTY schedule
>
> Hello all,
>
> * Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> wrote:
> > July 13 2008:
> > 	Make uart(4) the default serial port driver, instead of sio(4).
> > 	sio(4) has not been ported to the new TTY layer and is very hard
> > 	to do so. uart(4) has been proven to be more portable than
> > 	sio(4) and already supports the hardware we need.
>
> Just a small message to inform that I've just changed the default serial
> port driver on amd64 and i386 to uart(4) (see SVN commit 180487). I've
> decided to leave pc98 as it is now, because I'd rather let the
> respective maintainers look into this.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>  Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
>  WWW: http://80386.nl/
----- End forwarded message -----

The commit in question:

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2008-July/092923.html

As you can see, I've changed the hints in /boot/device.hints to refer to
uart(4) instead of sio(4). This means you may want to change sio to uart
in your kernel configuration file. This is what I've added to
/usr/src/UPDATING:

| The sio(4) driver has been removed from the i386 and amd64
| kernel configuration files. This means uart(4) is now the
| default serial port driver on those platforms as well.
|
| To prevent collisions with the sio(4) driver, the uart(4) driver
| uses different names for its device nodes. This means the
| onboard serial port will now most likely be called "ttyu0"
| instead of "ttyd0". You may need to reconfigure applications to
| use the new device names.

Even though I've got much confidence uart(4) works like it's supposed to
do: if any problems arise, feel free to send us (Marcel and I) a
message. Thanks!

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/