Re: HEADS UP: sio(4) -> uart(4)

From: Manfred Antar <null_at_pozo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:55:40 -0700
At 12:28 PM 7/13/2008, Ed Schouten wrote:

>*** PGP SIGNATURE VERIFICATION ***
>*** Alert:    Please verify signer's key before trusting signature.
>*** Signer:   Ed Schouten <ed_at_fxq.nl> (0x0D9E0B05)
>*** Signed:   7/13/2008 12:28:25 PM
>*** Verified: 7/13/2008 12:39:57 PM
>*** BEGIN PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***
>
>Hello folks,
>
>This morning I sent the following message to this list. Unfortunately, I
>didn't put a big `HEADS UP' in the subject, so I'm resending this to
>make sure nobody misses:
>
>----- Forwarded message from Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> -----
>> Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:22:54 +0200
>> From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
>> To: FreeBSD Current <current_at_FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Arch <arch_at_FreeBSD.org>
>> Cc: Philip Paeps <philip_at_FreeBSD.org>,
>>       Marcel Moolenaar <marcel_at_FreeBSD.org>
>> Subject: Re: MPSAFE TTY schedule
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> * Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl> wrote:
>> > July 13 2008:
>> >     Make uart(4) the default serial port driver, instead of sio(4).
>> >     sio(4) has not been ported to the new TTY layer and is very hard
>> >     to do so. uart(4) has been proven to be more portable than
>> >     sio(4) and already supports the hardware we need.
>>
>> Just a small message to inform that I've just changed the default serial
>> port driver on amd64 and i386 to uart(4) (see SVN commit 180487). I've
>> decided to leave pc98 as it is now, because I'd rather let the
>> respective maintainers look into this.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>>  Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
>>  WWW: http://80386.nl/
>----- End forwarded message -----
>
>The commit in question:
>
>        http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-src/2008-July/092923.html
>
>As you can see, I've changed the hints in /boot/device.hints to refer to
>uart(4) instead of sio(4). This means you may want to change sio to uart
>in your kernel configuration file. This is what I've added to
>/usr/src/UPDATING:
>
>| The sio(4) driver has been removed from the i386 and amd64
>| kernel configuration files. This means uart(4) is now the
>| default serial port driver on those platforms as well.
>|
>| To prevent collisions with the sio(4) driver, the uart(4) driver
>| uses different names for its device nodes. This means the
>| onboard serial port will now most likely be called "ttyu0"
>| instead of "ttyd0". You may need to reconfigure applications to
>| use the new device names.
>
>Even though I've got much confidence uart(4) works like it's supposed to
>do: if any problems arise, feel free to send us (Marcel and I) a
>message. Thanks!

Machine is i386 pentium 4
I'm using a terminal off of com port 1
I changed the ttyd0 to ttyu0 in /etc/ttys
rebuilt /sys/boot and kernel.
But now I have no comconsole
When the machine boots I get :
the loader message, but no more
I also use the console for the kernel debugger
Don't even get a login prompt on it
Any Ideas
Thanks
Manfred