7.0 CURRENT kernel's ath driver causes page fault, kernel panic (debugging kernel)

From: Edward Ruggeri <smallhand_at_crawblog.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:00:00 -0400
Hi,

I am getting a kernel panic (page fault) caused by the FreeBSD
kernel's ath driver shortly after I begin using the internet.  I use
FreeBSD 7.0 CURRENT.  I used cvs a few days ago to update the source
tree (7/10/08) and rebuilt the world as well as the kernel (just got a
brand new computer).  There is very little software installed (ports
only, also built 7/10/08), and no data.  But let me describe the
configuration and problem.

I have recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad, with a ThinkPad 11a/b/g
Wi-Fi wireless LAN Mini-PCIe card (Lenovo part #41W1685).  My Lenovo
representative claims this uses a Atheros Ar5006ex chipset (she's not
an expert, though), but FreeBSD's dmesg detects an Atheros 5212
chipset.  The Linux oriented thinkwiki.org claims this card may use
either chipset.  I don't know who to trust; maybe someone knows the
answer, but Google hasn't seemed to clear things up.  In particular,
from dmesg:

ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xdf2f0000-0xdf2fffff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci3
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: using obsoleted if_watchdog interface
ath0: Ethernet address: [Numbers]
ath0: mac 10.3 phy 6.1 radio 10.2

I don't know if the obsoleted statement should worry me.  Google
seemed to indicate some posts that it wasn't a big deal.

I've built driver support into the kernel.  I should note that I
compile SMP support for the kernel.  In particular, in my kernel
configuration:
device		wlan		# 802.11 support
device		wlan_wep	# 802.11 WEP support
device		wlan_ccmp	# 802.11 CCMP support
device		wlan_tkip	# 802.11 TKIP support
device		wlan_amrr	# AMRR transmit rate control algorithm
device		wlan_scan_ap	# 802.11 AP mode scanning
device		wlan_scan_sta	# 802.11 STA mode scanning
device		ath		# Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
device		ath_hal		# Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
device		ath_rate_sample	# SampleRate tx rate control for ath

If I add "ifconfig_ath0="DHCP"" to /etc/rc.conf or run "dhclient
ath0," the card connects and acquires an ip address from the router
(mine is unsecured at home).  This is what I get:

DHCPREQUEST on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
ip length 281 disagrees with bytes received 534.
accepting packet with data after udp payload.
DHCPNAK from 192.168.1.1
DHCPDISCOVER on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
ip length 314 disagrees with bytes received 534.
accepting packet with data after udp payload.
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.1
DHCPREQUEST on ath0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
ip length 314 disagrees with bytes received 534.
accepting packet with data after udp payload.
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.8 -- renewal in 43200 seconds.

I don't know what to make of those ip lengths disagreeing with bytes received...

I can launch lynx (my favorite non-graphical browser) or firefox and
load google.  I can make a search and get results, but the kernel
always panics by the time I try to load a third webpage (or earlier).
This is what I get:

cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x20:0xc0484aa6
stack pointer = 0x28:0xe7ffe8bc
frame pointer = 0x28:0xe7ffe928
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 1427 (lynx) [I've also seen this from ath0 taskq]
trap number = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 1
Uptime: 51m37s
Physical memory: 2014 MB
Dumping 109 MB:
Snyncing disks, vndoes remaining...[Zeros]

I'm pretty much a freeBSD novice, so I don't know what to do as it
prints out line after line of zeros (slowly).  Normally I just shut
the sucker down, because it seems content to print the zeros
forever...  But as FreeBSD starts up, it says "savecore: no dumps
found."  But I have compiled the kernel with debugging symbols
(makeoptions	DEBUG=-g), so maybe you can advise.

I hope someone is able to help.  Do you think I should file a problem report?

Thanks for reading.  Good night!

Sincerely,

-- Ned Ruggeri