Re: 7.0 CURRENT kernel's ath driver causes page fault, kernel panic (debugging kernel)

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:13:45 +0100 (BST)
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Edward Ruggeri wrote:

> I can launch lynx (my favorite non-graphical browser) or firefox and load
> google.  I can make a search and get results, but the kernel always panics
> by the time I try to load a third webpage (or earlier). This is what I get:

> cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
> fault virtual address = 0x0
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x20:0xc0484aa6
> stack pointer = 0x28:0xe7ffe8bc
> frame pointer = 0x28:0xe7ffe928
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process = 1427 (lynx) [I've also seen this from ath0 taskq]
> trap number = 12
> panic: page fault
> cpuid = 1
> Uptime: 51m37s
> Physical memory: 2014 MB
> Dumping 109 MB:
> Snyncing disks, vndoes remaining...[Zeros]
>
> I'm pretty much a freeBSD novice, so I don't know what to do as it prints
> out line after line of zeros (slowly).  Normally I just shut the sucker
> down, because it seems content to print the zeros forever...  But as FreeBSD
> starts up, it says "savecore: no dumps found."  But I have compiled the
> kernel with debugging symbols (makeoptions DEBUG=-g), so maybe you can
> advise.

This is a NULL pointer dereference in the kernel, which almost certainly means
a kernel bug.  Per e-mail you've already received from Garrett Cooper, we need
some further debugging information, such as a kernel astack trace.  If you're
unable to get a dump, a DDB stack trace would probably help quite a bit
(options DDB, when it drops into the debugger, save the results of the command
"trace").  Please do a file a PR with those results.

I'm a bit puzzled that your box is syncing after a panic -- normally the
kernel is configured not to do that -- could kern.sync_on_panic be set in your
loader.conf or sysctl.conf?

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge