Re: rc improvements (wanted?)

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:26:16 -0400
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2008-Jul-18 08:37:25 +0200, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net> wrote:
> >Are you aware that the parallel starting in Solaris 10 reduced the
> >booting time by a nice percentage?
>
> Given that Solaris boots in geologic time, this probably wouldn't
> be difficult.

Solaris actually boots significantly faster than FreeBSD on my
desktops, but that's not because of the parallel rc startup---
it's mainly for the completely orthogonal reason that the USB
stack and the ata(4) driver in FreeBSD take an eternity to
probe. So I suspect that people interested in making FreeBSD boot
faster could find lots of low-hanging fruit even without touching rc.

> Parallel starting is not guaranteed to be an improvement.  Starting a
> whole pile of processes that are I/O bound during initialisation
> (think squid or some databases) may be worse than starting them one
> at a time.  Likewise, a whole pile of processes that are CPU bound
> will just thrash the scheduler.  (Though parallel starting of I/O and
> CPU bound processes should be a win).

Parallel service startup in Solaris does seem to save time
(although this is on a dual core; I haven't tried a UP system).
Keep in mind also that many rc scripts spend a few seconds waiting
on the network, and that time could be better spent starting
something else.

That said, parallel startup doesn't make an enormous difference,
and that wasn't the main reason Sun wrote SMF. The main
motivation was to be able to automatically restart failed services
and their dependencies, and provide better administrative tools.

If you can find a way to decrease the boot time considerably, many
people won't care, but I'm sure some will greatly appreciate it.
There are two ways to cut downtime in half: make the system crash
half as often, or make it recover twice as fast. The latter is
probably an easier task. :)