Re: rc improvements (wanted?)

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:18:07 +1000
On 2008-Jul-18 08:37:25 +0200, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net> wrote:
>Are you aware that the parallel starting in Solaris 10 reduced the
>booting time by a nice percentage?

Given that Solaris boots in geologic time, this probably wouldn't
be difficult.

> If yes, do you expect that FreeBSD
>behaves significantly different or do you "just" want to see numbers?

Parallel starting is not guaranteed to be an improvement.  Starting a
whole pile of processes that are I/O bound during initialisation
(think squid or some databases) may be worse than starting them one
at a time.  Likewise, a whole pile of processes that are CPU bound
will just thrash the scheduler.  (Though parallel starting of I/O and
CPU bound processes should be a win).

>Sidenote: Even if there's no significant speedup, the possibility to
>start things in parallel should be provided, this would allow more
>experimentation (at all respectively later).

Agreed.

--
Peter Jeremy