Re: rc improvements (wanted?)

From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:19:00 +0200
Am 18.07.2008 um 09:18 schrieb Peter Jeremy:

> On 2008-Jul-18 08:37:25 +0200, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net
> > wrote:
>> Are you aware that the parallel starting in Solaris 10 reduced the
>> booting time by a nice percentage?
>
> Given that Solaris boots in geologic time, this probably wouldn't
> be difficult.
>
>> If yes, do you expect that FreeBSD
>> behaves significantly different or do you "just" want to see numbers?
>
> Parallel starting is not guaranteed to be an improvement.  Starting a
> whole pile of processes that are I/O bound during initialisation
> (think squid or some databases) may be worse than starting them one
> at a time.  Likewise, a whole pile of processes that are CPU bound
> will just thrash the scheduler.  (Though parallel starting of I/O and
> CPU bound processes should be a win).

Just as a simple counter-example: it's very annoying when a startup
script for a non-essential service is blocking startup for an
essential one. (A Smokeping config of mine takes about 5 minutes to
finish, and it's blocking sshd, as I found out the other day when I
had to reboot the server.) Also see the repeated annoyances caused by
dhclient on this list and elsewhere.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140