Re: rc improvements (wanted?)

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 22:01:38 -0700
Stefan Bethke wrote:

> Just as a simple counter-example: it's very annoying when a startup
> script for a non-essential service is blocking startup for an essential
> one. (A Smokeping config of mine takes about 5 minutes to finish, and
> it's blocking sshd, as I found out the other day when I had to reboot
> the server.)

I took at look at that rc.d script, and it seems to have duplicated
the same old script that a lot of ports scripts did before they were
included in the base rcorder (so the before/require stuff didn't
matter). Specifically it has:
# REQUIRE: DAEMON
# BEFORE: LOGIN

where it probably should just have REQUIRE: LOGIN. That would
generally place it after sshd (although obviously it would miss some
traffic that happens before it's started up). Of course, you can
always change the order yourself (e.g., add sshd to the REQUIRE line),
and/or investigate a way to get smokeping to do its startup process in
the background and yield to the next script in line. I've cc'ed lth so
that hopefully he can give this stuff some thought.

> Also see the repeated annoyances caused by dhclient on this
> list and elsewhere.

Well, two groups of categories that I think would be useful are
"depends on the network" and "does not depend on the network" which
would help deal with the delay you're talking about here. The problems
with that ensue when you start talking about NFS-mounted /usr/local,
diskless boot, etc.

Doug