Re: Would ZFS and gmirror work well together in a two-node failover cluster?

From: Maurice Volaski <mvolaski_at_aecom.yu.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:16:55 -0400
>Have you considered ZFS snapshots and send/receive? This would allow
>you to maintain a consistent (from ZFS' perspective) replica in near
>real-time (depending on how frequently the snapshots are taken).

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm not sure how that would work in practice either, but is
potentially interesting to consider.

For one thing, how small can small window of data be, something
measured in minutes or hours? And this would be a system that could
be moving 100 MB+ per second, so the data could get outdated quickly.

Plus, I'm looking for the failover to be automatic and near
instantaneous. That is, if I pull the power cord on the primary,
could the secondary go hot in under a minute?

That's the way it works with heartbeat and DRBD on Linux.

Solaris on x86 has a mechanism very similar to DRBD called AVS,
although it's only a little more complex, it's Solaris itself that is
so different (and perhaps more complex) than Linux that I was
thinking FreeBSD might be an alternative.
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski_at_aecom.yu.edu