Re: ZFS patches.

From: Norikatsu Shigemura <nork_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:32:29 +0900
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:11:37 +0200
Ulf Lilleengen <lulf_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> This patch does include ZFS boot support (for i386 only. Look in
> sys/boot/i386/zfsboot and boot/zfs) I was unable to make it work though, but
> I was able to install a ZFS-supporting loader, by building the loader with
> LOADER_ZFS_SUPPORT=yes .
> However, this feature is a bit undocumented yet, and it didn't work correctly
> for me. But you can always test it out.

	I'm using zfsboot on my note PC, and not using UFS.  I know many
	problems about it:-).

	1. zpool configuration is too limited, only single and mirror
	   usable.  If you want to zfsboot, you can't use RAIDZ, striping
	   and cache(zpool add ... cache ...):-(.

	2. On some environment (old BIOS?), zfsboot1 can't chain to
	   zfsboot2.  Because, by size (512bytes), zfsboot1 didn't
	   support CHS mode.

	3. Yes, a bit undocumented.  So you must be careful.

	4. I tried to test about zfsboot supported liveCD, but I can't
	   make it yet.  Because zfsbootable loader can't boot from CD.

	SEE ALSO:
	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2008-July/004895.html
	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/125878