Re: [HEADSUP]: Linux 2.6 emulation enabled on default

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:34:03 +0200
Quoting Roman Divacky <rdivacky_at_freebsd.org> (from Tue, 3 Jun 2008
23:25:11 +0200):

> hi,
>
> today I commited a patch that enabled Linux 2.6 emulation on default
> in contrast to 2.4 as it was until now.

At some point we need a FreeBSD revision bump to be able to determine
in the ports if we have a default 2.6.16 or a manual 2.6.16. This can
be now, or at some point in the future when you commit some patches to
the linuxulator which fix some 2.6 bugs (maybe the ones you specified
at the end of your mail).

This allows us to switch the default linux_base port upon something
else than only the linuxlator version (nothing planned yet, but at
least we have the possiblity then).

Personally I would try to be on the safe side by bumping the freebsd
version now to denote the transition point. If no showstopper bug
shows up, we can use this freebsd version value to handle the userland
side of the linuxulator, if we stumble upon a showstopper bug, we can
bump the freebsd version again.

Bye,
Alexander.

--