Re: Anyone else seeing this (cvs wierdness)?

From: Peter Wemm <peter_at_wemm.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:12:08 -0700
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:58 PM, David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 10:24:40AM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:

>> > Why are you always using "update -A"?  Basically all the reports of
>> > weirdness are due to folks not fully understanding what -A does and is
>> > for.
>> >
>> > If -A removes stickly dates, tags, and (what you're seeing here) stickly
>> > options.  Options can be set locally, in the ,v file on the server.  Some
>> > keywords (such as $Name$) may need to be updated due to "update -A".
>>
>> We use -A because we've often messed with sticky dates and tags in our
>> checked out copy and want to reset anything we've forgotten and start
> ..
>> This is not what is happening now.  If the server has a nonstandard
>> rcs keyword expansion mode, cvs fetches a fresh copy, each and every
>> time.  Even if the checked out copy has the correct expansion mode.
>> Over and over and over again.
>
> Talk to the CVS developers (and read the bug report trail that lead to
> this change).  This behavior is intended.  I'm not saying I care for it,
> but its not a bug.

It is a bug.  The old working behavior is what we've come to depend on
and there is no replacement for the 'reset sticky tags and dates' mode
that we *need*.

Unless we have a way to get the old behavior back, we still need this
backed out to the state it was in 6.x and 7.x, where it !^%_at_$#^!%_at_#!_at_#
works!
--
Peter Wemm - peter_at_wemm.org; peter_at_FreeBSD.org; peter_at_yahoo-inc.com
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete