Re: kinda headsup..

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 20:34:58 +0200
Julian Elischer wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Julian Elischer wrote:
>>> At the BSDCAn devsummit we discussed how to proceed with committing
>>> Vimage to -current.
>>>
>>> the Milestones included something like:
>>>
>>> June 8 (today) Headsup....
>>>
>>> June 15        commit changes that add macros for vnet
>>>                (network module) and vinet(inet virtualisation)
>>>                with macros defined in such a way to make 0 actual
>>>                differences. provable by md5 etc.
>>>                Documentat
>>>                  s/hostname/g//V_hostname/
>>>                  #define V_hostname hostname
>>>                2 weeks settle time, next step prepared, tested
>>>                and reviewed.
>>
>>> diffs can be found at:
>>>  http://www.freebsd.org/~julian/vimage.diff and it are usually
>>> fairly up to date.
>>
>> Did Marko fix the panic I saw back in May?  I wasn't even able to boot
>> a vimage kernel yet, let alone begin testing it :)
>
> is this the ipv6 panic?
> I must admit I have not heard..
> he was looking at it back thne and has committed stuff since then..
>
> I use it with IPV4 quite successfully quite often.
>
> note that the first commits are pretty much quaranteed to not have that
> problem.. as they are effective NOPs
>

> I'll get back to you  on it..

Yes, the panic occurs when one runs a vimage kernel on a CVS world.
It's presumably a case of incomplete validation of the input from userland.

I'd still like someone to validate the initial commits and establish a
framework for ongoing testing, because we've seen cases recently where
things as simple as structure alignment changes can have >30%
performance impact, so if it's not entirely a NOP then there is still
potential for trouble.

Kris