Re: CFT: BSD-licensed grep [Fwd: cvs commit: ports/textproc/bsdgrep Makefile distinfo]

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:23:15 -0700
pfgshield-freebsd_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On 2008-06-17, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:
>>> egrep: empty (sub)expression
>>>
>> I've looked at this and I have a patch with a workaround:
>> http://kovesdan.org/patches/grep.dougb.diff
>
> This general behavior should be considered a GNUism, the type of
> thing that we want to avoid in scripts. Perhaps, if it's too
> common, the workaround should be ifdef'd into a GNU compatible mode
> or something.

No, "here is a new bsd grep, but change all your scripts that have
relied on legitimate behavior of grep in the past" is a non-starter. I
haven't checked POSIX to see whether the particular construction I am
using fits the spec or not, but I really don't care. We need to be
feature-compatible with the GNU versions of these tools, both for
legacy scripts and also for those users migrating over from linux.

Doug