Re: Getting started with DTrace in FreeBSD-current (a.k.a. 8)

From: Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 16:50:20 +1000
On 2008-Jun-21 21:21:21 +0000, John Birrell <jb_at_what-creek.com> wrote:
>The fact that uid_t is not being recognised is just a consequence of
>dtrace being used without CTF data in the kernel. If you haven't got
>CTF data in your kernel, then dtrace is of no use to you.

How easy would it be to fix this?

IMHO, we should be able to build DTrace-ready applications on a system
without DTrace installed.  The whole point of the package mechanism is
to be able to build on one system and run on another - consider trying
to debug problems on a thin client.  Ideally (IMHO), we should be able
to run a DTrace-enabled application on a non-DTrace kernel (obviously
without DTrace).

--
Peter Jeremy