Re: problem: world boot strapping from 7-C to HEAD with CDDL on sparc64?

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 17:46:00 -0400
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 03:14:45PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, John Birrell wrote:

> >>check the text file references. It has an uname -a in the first line.
> >>
> >>It is a 7-CURRENT from 2006. UPDATING says we support updating from 6
> >>or newer so something is wrong. Either bootstrapping or UPDATING. I
> >>guess it's the former...
> >
> >I thought our policy was that you had to update to the latest on a RELENG_X
> >branch before updating to the next branch or to current.
>
> UPDATING says:
>
> 20080123:
>         To upgrade to -current after this date, you must be running
>         FreeBSD not older than 6.0-RELEASE.  Upgrading to -current
>         from 5.x now requires a stop over at RELENG_6 or RELENG_7 systems.

I agree and think we should document the minimum release required for
building CURRENT.  At the very least we shouldn't continue to suggest
that 6.0-RELEASE is sufficient, if we're not going to address the
bootstrapping issue.

(I noticed that UPDATING also still has a section "To upgrade in-place
from 5.x-stable to current," and many obsolete entries, and so could
do with a good cleanup.)

All that said, I'd really like to be able to continue building head on
RELENG_6.  (In my case I have a rather fast RELENG_6 box so I have been
doing my pre-commit testing there.)  Do the changes we're discussing
here involve anything that makes that difficult?

Regards,
Ed