Re: problem: world boot strapping from 7-C to HEAD with CDDL on sparc64?

From: John Birrell <jb_at_what-creek.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:41:50 +0000
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:46:00PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> All that said, I'd really like to be able to continue building head on
> RELENG_6.  (In my case I have a rather fast RELENG_6 box so I have been
> doing my pre-commit testing there.)  Do the changes we're discussing
> here involve anything that makes that difficult?

Possibly. :-)

It depends on whether your RELENG_6 box is up-to-date with respect to the
RELENG_6 branch.

I think that as current diverges more from 7 it will be harder to keep the
tree building on 6.

This all stems from the fact that our build process is very attached to
wanting to bootstrap itself rather than having a set of build tools
that would be updated independently of the buildworld. This is also
the thing that makes it difficult for us to build embedded systems.

I think I'd like to see us have a separate build tools build. :-)
And then just point our buildworld to that tool set. That would help
decouple our buildworld from being hosted on a FreeBSD system (which
seems to be an issue for some companies with build server arrays
that aren't FreeBSD). Doing that would also help decouple us from
limiting what versions of FreeBSD we update from (or are compatible
for update from).

I'm not sure I want to tie the DTrace build support into the whole
"let's revise our build system" argument.

--
John Birrell