Re: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:22:24 +0200
On 29Jun, 2008, at 5:11 , Garrett Cooper wrote:

>> I hate to bring this to you, but you will not have an intact
>> filesystem when
>> the rebuild is done, you have no parity data to rebuild from, just
>> as the
>> docs states.
>>
>> -Søren
>
> Just as you predicted, the disk(s) are unreadable still, even after
> the rebuild (and I hope to hell that it didn't destroy/disturb any
> data on the surviving members).
>
> I may just have to get it sent off for recovery (after I dd the
> remaining members because there's still some usable data there --
> bloody 2.7TB ... grr) -- apart from that I don't think I have a
> choice.

You wont get anything from that except a huge bill for nothing.

> Oh, where's this "document" of which you speak all the time? I don't
> see anything about parity support not being available in either the
> geom or iir manpage, or the iir sourcecode. If someone needs a helping
> hand inserting that logic into the kernel, I'll gladly assist so
> others don't follow my footsteps and fsck up their data.

Would you please try to read what I write to you ?

You still insist in mixing up ATA and IIR, it is two distinct drivers
for different HW and with very different properties.

For ATA docs just use "man ata" and it will show you the way.
Shortcut to the raid part is  "man ataraid".

> For once I wish I had been running Linux or Windows (at least) :(...

Oooohhh, that one is soooo tempting..... 8^)

-Søren