Re: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer_at_ultra-secure.de>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:57:20 +0200
Am 29.06.2008 um 05:11 schrieb Garrett Cooper:

> Just as you predicted, the disk(s) are unreadable still, even after
> the rebuild (and I hope to hell that it didn't destroy/disturb any
> data on the surviving members).
>
> I may just have to get it sent off for recovery (after I dd the
> remaining members because there's still some usable data there --
> bloody 2.7TB ... grr) -- apart from that I don't think I have a
> choice.

<tongue in cheek>
If the data was worth so much that it values recovery....
</tongue in cheek>

> Oh, where's this "document" of which you speak all the time? I don't
> see anything about parity support not being available in either the
> geom or iir manpage, or the iir sourcecode. If someone needs a helping
> hand inserting that logic into the kernel, I'll gladly assist so
> others don't follow my footsteps and fsck up their data.

On our HP DL320G5s, FreeBSD7 didn't even detect the MatrixRAID array
(RAID1).
Even the Windoze-guys tell us that they don't trust it.

So we settled for RAID1 via gmirror.

MatrixRAID is a scam, if you ask me - like all the other BIOS-RAIDs
we have had the displeasure to see over the years.
I really thought it was common knowledge.  But now that you mention
it, I can't find a reference to this in the FreeBSD docs (at least
not with a quick look).
The handbook-example uses RAID1, though.

Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner
CISSP, LPI, MCSE