Re: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

From: Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:05:15 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Søren Schmidt" <sos_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
>> Although it is more visible, personally I would prefer it to just fail
>> instead of proceeding. RAID5 is not RAID5 without parity so why even
>> allow it to continue and hence risk such an unrecoverable situation?
>
> Well, this has been rehashed many times before, it has been disabled,  put a warning in the boot log, warning in the docs, all 3
> was the  favorite at the time it was done.
>
> I'm all ears for what the decision might be this time, just get  consensus and I'll flip the right switch.

As a small expansion to this, a good compromise might be to disable it
unless a sysctl flag is explicitly set. Similar to how the sysctl
kern.geom.debugflags=16 works? Then for those that know the implications
they can still have the functionality but prevents someone stumbling
into a nasty situation without being aware of the issues.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster_at_multiplay.co.uk.