Re: URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:32:21 -0700
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Steven Hartland
<killing_at_multiplay.co.uk> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Søren Schmidt" <sos_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
>>>
>>> Although it is more visible, personally I would prefer it to just fail
>>> instead of proceeding. RAID5 is not RAID5 without parity so why even
>>> allow it to continue and hence risk such an unrecoverable situation?
>>
>> Well, this has been rehashed many times before, it has been disabled,  put
>> a warning in the boot log, warning in the docs, all 3 was the  favorite at
>> the time it was done.
>>
>> I'm all ears for what the decision might be this time, just get  consensus
>> and I'll flip the right switch.
>
> As a small expansion to this, a good compromise might be to disable it
> unless a sysctl flag is explicitly set. Similar to how the sysctl
> kern.geom.debugflags=16 works? Then for those that know the implications
> they can still have the functionality but prevents someone stumbling
> into a nasty situation without being aware of the issues.
>
>   Regards
>   Steve

That wouldn't have helped me in this situation because I didn't set
anything up via geom, because I was blissfully unaware and didn't ask
how anyone to setup a RAID config properly before now.
That idea probably wouldn't be a bad one though...
-Garrett