Re: using ctags for current

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:20:16 -0600
On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:02:41PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> is there any support is the Makefiles (for our FreeBSD source) for ctags?
> Beyond that, it used to be true that the ctags that resides in our ports
> was called Exhuberant Ctags, and the writer wrote it expressly for FreeBSD
> (at forst, now it seems to be GPL'ed), it used to be a great deal better
> thant hea native ctags, and is there any reason that I shouldn't use the
> Exhuberant Ctags?

We've got a "make tags" target that defaults to using gtags but will use
ctags if CTARGS=ctags.  I found it with "grep ctags /usr/share/mk/*"

> Now I gotta do something I haven't done before, which is figure out how to
> get cvs to ignore the changes I hack to the src/usr.bin/ctags makefile to
> remove the install target.  This oughta be good for a laugh, as I try to
> see if I can blow away my archive.

I'd suggest producing a patch to allow disabling ctags with a
WITHOUT_CTAGS knob.  It seems like the sort of thing we'd want to be
able to disable for small systems anyway.  It looks like the current
strategy is to modify src/usr.bin/Makefile and the the appropriate magic
to add a new src.conf knob.  (Is that documented anywhere?)

-- Brooks