samba and zfs (amd64?)

From: Duncan Young <duncan.young_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:28:54 +1000
Hi all

I've been having problems with zfs, samba and large directories.

If I have a large zfs directory and try to accesses it via smb://, I have
parts of the directory missing (sometimes over 50%) and even duplicated.

I could not reproduce the problem on a UFS filesystem.
doing a mount_smbfs, everything is fine.
using windows (including cygwin) or konqueror via smb:// fails badly
(konqueror even worse than explorer).

I have been seeing this problem since 7.0-RC1, but only now gotten around to
pinning it down.

test program:
in a new directory

for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
        do
        for j in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
                do
                for k in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
                        do

touch "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbccccccccccccccccc$i$j$k"
                done
        done
done

then try accessing from a windows box (or konqueror via smb://)

Both explorter and cygwin show the same results from windows.

A packet sniffer indicated that the data was being send inncorrectly

Could some others of you try to confirm (or not) my findings.  I am running
7.0-release (amd64) and samba-3.0.28,1.

I believe this to be a zfs issue due to my not being able to reproduce the
problem with UFS (not even once).

regards

Duncan