Re: samba and zfs (amd64?)

From: Brian Biskeborn <bbiskebo_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 00:55:35 -0400
I've been seeing this since RC1 as well. Same platform here
(7.0-release, amd64, samba 3.0.28,1 on ZFS). Under Windows, there are
missing files, but no duplicates. Using mount_cifs on Linux, I think
there are both missing files and duplicates (haven't checked for a
while, though, so I could be wrong about the duplicates).

This starts to happen in directories containing a few hundred items. I
don't have any UFS shares here, so I can't vouch for ZFS being the
problem. My usage of samba isn't exactly mission-critical, so I've been
ignoring the issue.

To anyone more familiar with samba or ZFS: does smbd use mmap for any
directory operations? There was an apparent mmap bug on ZFS reported
here a few weeks ago - I solved some problems I was having with dovecot
(reported Feb 24) by disabling mmap there.

Cheers,
Brian