Re: 7.0 Panic under network load

From: Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 06:01:38 -0700 (PDT)
--- Rink Springer <rink_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 05:30:37AM -0700, Barney
> Cordoba wrote:
> > What could be the problem here?
>
> It sounds as if your harddisk is broken. As you can
> see, a lot of read
> errors are being reported, before which GEOM finally
> gives up on your
> disk (ad4) and detaches it from the system.
> Unfortunately, UFS is known
> to cause panics if disks suddenly 'get lost', which
> is what triggers the
> actual panic.
>
> I suggest you check your disk...

Given the known issues with the HT1000 chipset, I'd
take a guess that its the driver and not the disk. But
I'll run the test again tonight with a different disk
and see what happens.

As an aside to this, what is the logic in having a
panic in a disk subsystem? Its not a fatal error to
the operation of a system.

Barney

Looking for last minute shopping deals?