Re: 7.0 Panic under network load

From: Rink Springer <rink_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:11:06 +0100
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 06:01:38AM -0700, Barney Cordoba wrote:
> Given the known issues with the HT1000 chipset, I'd
> take a guess that its the driver and not the disk. But
> I'll run the test again tonight with a different disk
> and see what happens.

Well, browsing the CVS log of sys/dev/ata/ata-chipset.c, it seems this
fix was incorperated before 7.0-RELEASE.

> As an aside to this, what is the logic in having a
> panic in a disk subsystem? Its not a fatal error to
> the operation of a system.

The disk subsystem is not the problem; there are known problems in UFS.
For example, it relies on being able to always flush buffers, and will
trigger panics if it encounters dirty buffers after it explicitely asked
to flush them...

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"Anyway boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes doesn't