Re: RELEASE discs & ISO images (for future)

From: Josh Paetzel <josh_at_tcbug.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:18:22 -0500
On Tuesday 18 March 2008 09:33:44 am Oliver Fromme wrote:

>  > Yes, but DVD is still in the future.
>
> I don't quite understand.  Most PCs have a DVD drive.
> You can buy DVD-ROM drives for $20.
>
> Sure, there are old boxes that still have CD drives
> only.  I'm not saying that FreeBSD should stop making
> CD ISO images.  But it doesn't have to be the main
> focus anymore.  The majority of people do have DVD
> drives, so the focus should move to providing a DVD
> ISO image, getting rid of various problems (space
> constraints, CD shuffling annoyance).  "Legacy" CD ISO
> images could still be provided, but it's lower priority.

The real constraint is that there is pressure from the ftp mirror maintainers
to keep what they have to mirror as small as possible.  Due to the nature of
dvds and cds you can provide everything via cd for a user and he/she can
trivially create a dvd image from them, or you can provide a dvd image and
either eliminate the cd image and the users who depend on cd images or lose
the ftp mirror sites that refuse to carry the significantly larger FreeBSD
site.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB