Re: nfe0 watchdog timeout

From: Pascal Hofstee <caelian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 22:53:59 +0200
On Tue, 13 May 2008 17:59:38 +0900
Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>  > May 10 15:59:31 trinity kernel: ums0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2)
>  > disconnected May 10 15:59:31 trinity kernel: ums0: detached
>  > May 10 15:59:33 trinity kernel: nfe0: link state changed to DOWN
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Something happend here. But I have no idea why link state was
> changed here.
>
>  > May 10 15:59:45 trinity kernel: nfe0: link state changed to UP
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Shomething brought up the link again. If link partner is switch then
> I hardly guess this unless you unplug/plug UTP cable.

Well ... I can't tell for sure yet, but i am starting to smell a false
alarm. It's been about a week now since i switched and have observed
the nfe0 link down, link up, followed by perpetual timeout scenario.

During this same period the weather around here has started to feel
like it's mid-summer with temperatures easily reaching the upper 20s to
lower 30s.

We share our internet-connection here with about 6 appartments and as
it turns out over the last couple of days i have not been the only
person who has had some oddball network events happen to him.

As it turns out some people have had problems where they simply
wouldn't get a link until after they pulled the cable and plugged it
back in again, and since about 2 hours ago the power supply of our
Gb-switch seems to have become of the persuasion it wants to become a
space-heater instead. Initially the Switch's Power LED would still turn
green though no link LEDs would light up (and no links were
established) and about 15 minutes after that the power LED also no
longer turns on.

This could very well explain the spurious link losses i've been
observing. So i'll likely be getting us a new switch tomorrow
(currently have the whole thing running through an old 10-baseT HUB)
and keep an eye on things to see how they will develop from there on
out.

If the nfe problems persist, i'll definitely try the provided
suggestions but for now i'll put the investigations on hold.

With kind regards,
  Pascal Hofstee