Re: ata mode at startup

From: Julian Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:43:16 +0200
phoemix_at_harmless.hu wrote:
> Hello,
> As known, FreeBSD sets the highest supported ATA mode, but sometimes it's
> inproper, since the disk fails to work in this mode. This will be obsolate =
> by
> recent SATA drives, but PATA is still in use :)
> I've though of the possibility of adding an "atamodetab" rc script, with wh=
> ich
> the administrator could specify the disk modes to set on startup.
......^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ....

No good waiting for an admin to manually edit a table:
An admin cant edit till FreeBSD boots.
FreeBSD fails to boot on some older laptops eg
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/digital/
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/dell_latitude_xpi_p133st/
unless one pre-knows FreeBSD magic like
	loader.conf hw.ata.ata_dma=0
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/#loader.conf

A table in src/ that would automatically recognise flakey ATA hardware
& reduce ambitious FreeBSD so it could boot, would be nice.

> I've already got a sketch for this script that I use, but I'd like to ask, =
> does
> it worth the effort working on it a bit more, and adding it to the core OS?=
> think this would be a quite useful feature to have.

Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com
	Mail just Ascii plain text.  HTML & Base64 text are spam.