Re: reproducible panic with mount_smbfs

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:11:38 +0000 (GMT)
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Antony Mawer wrote:

> This probably also applies to NWFS and netncp as well -- I haven't had a
> chance to test NWFS in 7.x as of yet, but will hope to do so in the coming
> months...

Ah, someone who actually uses netncp and nwfs!  I've been trying to keep the
ipx/spx code alive and working through the MPSAFE network stack work, but I'm
really not set up to test that, let alone the Netware file system parts.  Let
us know how it goes.  The netsmb and netncp code is well-structured, but
designed with pre-SMPng locking primitives and network stack in mind, so will
need quite a bit of work to pull forwards.  As Attilio has already been
running into, netsmb has rather intimate knowledge and reliance on some of the
more obscure behaviors of lockmgr :-).  This is something that will need to be
fairly high on the list of things to change.  Apple has started doing some of
this in their fork of our netsmb code, but there's a lot more to do I think.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge