TTY or SSH character echoing issue

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:20:09 -0800
With current source of 16 Oct 08, I'm seeing a seemly
strange echoing problem when I use ssh to connect from
one node in my cluster to another.  At the (t)csh command
line prompt, I want to execute ~/trunk/cmd.  So, I have

% ~/trunk/cmd

The strange behavior is that the ~ character does not
appear on the terminal until after I enter the / character.

Any advice at determining whether this a tty or ssh or
some other problem would be appreciated.

--
Steve