Re: USB4BSD (USB2): Microsoft 4000 keyboard unusable

From: Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd_at_codelabs.ru>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:38:49 +0300
Jeremy, good day.

Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:52:32PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
[...]
> Everything built (csup date: 2008/11/06 ~2200 PST) fine, no issues --
> until I noticed my USB keyboard didn't function any longer.
>
> During boot0/boot2/loader, the keyboard functions (as expected, re: USB
> Legacy option is enabled in my BIOS), and the keyboard LEDs are lit as
> expected.  The kernel loads, some drivers initialise, and the LEDs go
> off.  Once the USB2 stack loads, the keyboard LEDs turn back up, but as
> stated, no keypresses are registered.  I was forced to hook up a PS/2
> keyboard.
[...]
> The keyboard in question is a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000.  This
> keyboard is known for being a real pain in the ass, since some of the
> multimedia keys, and the infamous F-Lock key, are HID-controlled, while
> alphanumeric are USB keyboard class controlled.

I used to have this beast.  I had simular problems with it, but I had
managed to overcome them by switching the keyboard to the legacy boot
protocol.  I am attaching two old patches, one for the stock USB stack
and one for the HPS stack (the old one, more than a year ago).  So, they
can be worthless now, but you can give it a shot.

I had quickly ported my old patch to the current usb20 ukbd2.c, this
patch is attached too, but I have no such keyboard at hand just now, so
I can't test the patches in question.  If you will succeed with them --
please, report back.

Thanks!
--
Eygene