Re: USB4BSD (USB2): Microsoft 4000 keyboard unusable

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 01:07:19 -0800
On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 11:38:49AM +0300, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 11:52:32PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> [...]
> > Everything built (csup date: 2008/11/06 ~2200 PST) fine, no issues --
> > until I noticed my USB keyboard didn't function any longer.
> >
> > During boot0/boot2/loader, the keyboard functions (as expected, re: USB
> > Legacy option is enabled in my BIOS), and the keyboard LEDs are lit as
> > expected.  The kernel loads, some drivers initialise, and the LEDs go
> > off.  Once the USB2 stack loads, the keyboard LEDs turn back up, but as
> > stated, no keypresses are registered.  I was forced to hook up a PS/2
> > keyboard.
> [...]
> > The keyboard in question is a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000.  This
> > keyboard is known for being a real pain in the ass, since some of the
> > multimedia keys, and the infamous F-Lock key, are HID-controlled, while
> > alphanumeric are USB keyboard class controlled.
>
> I used to have this beast.  I had simular problems with it, but I had
> managed to overcome them by switching the keyboard to the legacy boot
> protocol.  I am attaching two old patches, one for the stock USB stack
> and one for the HPS stack (the old one, more than a year ago).  So, they
> can be worthless now, but you can give it a shot.
>
> I had quickly ported my old patch to the current usb20 ukbd2.c, this
> patch is attached too, but I have no such keyboard at hand just now, so
> I can't test the patches in question.  If you will succeed with them --
> please, report back.

Eygene,

Thanks for providing the patches in question.  I applied the third one:

> --- sys/dev/usb2/input/ukbd2.c	4 Nov 2008 02:31:03 -0000	1.1
> +++ sys/dev/usb2/input/ukbd2.c	7 Nov 2008 08:32:41 -0000

Sadly it made no difference.  I *did not* see any "set protocol failed"
messages during boot, so I believe the set worked correctly.

Since this box is more or less a server, and I spend very little time at
its console (sans recent events :-) ), I think an easier option would be
for me to go with a different (simpler) model of USB keyboard, or dig up
an old PS/2 Dell keyboard for permanent use.

If you'd like me to test any other patches or want me to make code
modifications and try things out, I'll be more than happy to test.