Re: Unicode-based FreeBSD

From: Philip Paeps <philip_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:20:11 +0100
On 2008-11-11 17:29:34 (+0300), Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I'd like to announce that the work on UTF8-compatible syscons is going on.
>
> Current Status:
>
> I've finished with UTF-8 decoding in syscons. This includes kernel-mode
> decoder, user-mode unit-tests for it, patch for syscons output processor to
> transcode UTF-8 to 8-bit encoding depending on global mode flag using
> specified transcoding map, and user-mode integration test application that
> produces UTF8-encoded characters from various unicode regions on its
> standard output stream.
>
> What needs to be done:
>
> * encoder to convert user input to UTF-8
>
> * IOCTLs for setting UTF-8 mode on and off (currently hardcoded un syscons
> initialization routine)
>
> * IOCTLs for updating UTF-8-to-8-bit transcoding map (map is also hardcoded
> in init routine)
>
> * patch vidcontrol for utilizing IOCTLs mentioned earlier
>
> * examing impact of switching to UTF-8 on the system, utilities, ports, etc.
>
> For the purpose of updates like that I would like to have something like a
> page on FreeBSD wiki. I would place status information, documentation and
> current patches there. In my opinion it's better than having it placed on
> 3rd party website. Is it possible?

Perhaps you'd like to work on this in perforce? :-)

I've been working on syscons off and on for a while (mainly on airplanes where
there is nothing more interesting to do).  I would like to take a look at your
code.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                    Please don't Cc me, I am
philip_at_freebsd.org                               subscribed to the list.

  I'm deaf.
  	-- Trapper's uncle Alan, when asked what the secret behind his
  	   long and happy marriage was